For our 31st year of Key Campaign, we will educate and advocate based on the following platform. We look forward to seeing many of you in Juneau and encourage you to join us at the local level as well – wherever you are in Alaska! See our event page for details on statewide rallies, which will all be held on Friday, March 2nd, 2018.
2018 Campaign Priorities:
- Through SB174, putting into statute a shared vision of a flexible system in which each person directs their own supports based on his or her strengths and abilities toward a meaningful life in their home, their job, and their community. Our vision includes supported families, professional staff, and services available throughout the state now and into the future.
- A stable and sustainable fiscal plan which if attained would:
- Reactivate the commitment to reduce the waitlist. Currently, there are more than 700 individuals on the waitlist. It is imperative that we increase the number of individuals removed from this registry.
- Key Coalition also supports the following bills:
- SB 80, a telecommunication bill that would require telephone utilities to provide services to deaf, hard of hearing, and speech impaired subscribers that would permit the subscribers to communicate by telephone with hearing persons.
- HB 336, the Supported Decision Making Act, would empower Alaskans with guardians to form individualized Supported Decision Making Agreements. SDM Agreements foster greater independence for adults with disabilities to make life decisions with a trusted team.
In addition to joining Key Coalition advocacy efforts, we encourage you to contact your legislator in one of the following ways:
- By sending an email or submitting a Public Opinion Message (POM): Submit POM Online or Download, print and fax the POM Form to your local Legislative Information Office (LIO).
- By contacting your legislators directly. Find contact information on the Alaska State Legislative website by putting in your address.
- If you don’t have the exact information needed or need assistance, please call your local legislative information office. For a listing of the LIOs click here: http://w3.legis.state.ak.us/misc/lios.php
For regular updates regarding issues and the latest proceeding, join Hope’s Online Community and select Legislative Alerts.