ANNUAL KEY CAMPAIGN: UNITY IN ACTION
Key Coalition educates legislators about the importance of community-based services for people with disabilities and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) programs through the annual Key Campaign activities held by local chapters. Members are individuals who use services, family members, care givers, representatives, providers, businesses, organizations, and anyone interested in the rights and full inclusion for all Alaskans.
JUNEAU KEY CAMPAIGN XXVI (Feb. 19 and 21, 2013): Each year, the Key Coalition sends individuals to Juneau to educate Alaska legislators about disability issues. These individuals include people with disabilities who advocate for themselves, as well as families and friends. Contact: 907.227.8165
- Feb. 19, 9:00am: Assoc. on Developmental Disabilities (AADD) Meeting
- Feb. 20, 12:00pm: Orientation 6:00pm: Unity Dinner
- Feb. 21, 7:00am: SWAT Campaign. 8:00am: Legislative visits, meeting with Administrators, Finance Committee
- Feb. 21, 11:30am: March to Capitol Steps. Noon: Rally at Capitol Steps. TBD: Governor’s home tour
STATEWIDE Unity Dinner, Sign Making Party, Letter Writing Campaign, Assembly and Rally: Key Campaign activities are held in Juneau, Anchorage, Eagle River, Fairbanks, Kenai-Soldotna, Kodiak, and Mat Su Valley around the time of the Juneau Key Campaign.
CHAPTER RALLIES and Assemblies: Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 (Open to the Public)
Key Rallies are open to the public to show support for disability services, complete Public Opinion Messages (POM), register to vote, and meet other supporters.
- Anchorage Rally: 11:30am March in Town Square, followed by a Bake Sale at HOPE’s Auditorium (Employee Learning Center). Contact: HOPE at 907.433.4914
- Eagle River Rally: Location TBA. Contact: Focus Outreach 907.694.6002
- Fairbanks Rally: Noon Rally & March at Sadler’s Building, 7th and Cushman. Contact: ACCA, Valerie (email@example.com) at 907.456.4003, ext 103.
- Juneau Rally: Noon Rally at the Capitol Steps. Contact: 907.227.8165
- Kenai/Soldotna Rally: Noon Rally at Kenai Legislative Affairs Office, 145 Main Street, then a Meet & Greet at the HOPE Building in Soldotna. Contact: 907.262.7577
- Kodiak Assembly: 11:30am assembly at Kodiak High School. Postcards with Platform Issues will be distributed for the public and the students to mail to their Legislators. Contact: HOPE 907.486.5011
- Matsu Rally in the Valley: 11am Rally at Legislative Info Office in Wasilla, 12pm March to Wasilla Diary Queen, 12:30 Lunch at Dairy Queen. Contact: Cynthia (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 907.352.1244 or 907.232.8775. Click here for Rally flyer.
CHAPTER EVENTS: Unity Dinners-Sign Making events offer members an opportunity to share their situations and goals with community members.
- Fairbanks Unity Dinner: Wed., Feb. 13, 2013 at Pike’s Waterfront Lodge, 6 pm to 8 pm. Buffet dinner, live music, keynote speaker, candlelight vigil, silent auction, dessert auction. No charge but donations are appreciated. Tables each seat 8. For reservations or to donate silent auction items: Eva (email@example.com) or Marie (firstname.lastname@example.org) at FRA 907.456.8901.
- Mat-Su Valley Sign Making Party: Thur., Feb., 14, 2013 at at LINKS Mat-Su Parent Resource Center, 4931 E. Mayflower Lane. Contact: Cynthia at MSSCA at 907.352.1244.
- Fairbanks Chapter: Every Friday until Rally, noon to 1:00 pm at 805 Airport Way. Contact Eva (email@example.com) or Marie (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 907.456.8901.
- Mat-Su Valley Chapter: Feb. 11, Mon., 5:15pm at LINKS Mat-Su Parent Resource Center, 4931 E. Mayflower Lane. Contact Cynthia at 907.352.1244.
For more information about these and other local events and meetings, please contact your local chapter.